Saturday, June 18, 2011

DaY 8 - Kitchen Cabinet Painting Project

Sat., June 18th, 2011

I'm very tired today and I didn't make much progress.  I think 7 days of this is wearing on my and I didn't even plow through like I normally do.

After spending time cleaning Kaitlyn's room this a.m., I took her out to breakfast with my Mother-in-Law and I, so Hubby could spray the 2nd coat of primer.

So, Hubby got his part done. ;-)   Here's what 2nd coat of primer looked like
 


Since it was so nice out, I took her for a quick walk down to the park to see if the ducks were out.
 

After, I dropped Kaitlyn off at my MIL's.  She was going to watch her for the afternoon until early evening so I could bang through sanding all the doors and painting the 2nd coat of Brushing PUtty. Hubby had to work an event and had to leave at 3pm.

By the time I got back and did a few more things, it was 2pm before I started the sanding.  And, it was nice out, but a little humid. Luckily it was a little shady by now on the back deck, so I set up there so as not to get a bunch of dust in the garage.

Let me tell you, sanding the doors is the worst!  Especially if your doors have 3 layers of bevels - It's a bitch! That is why you have to be careful about the drip marks when applying. However, the bevels make it almost impossible to not have pooling of the paint in those corners. Especially since you have to put the stuff on thick.

The point is you have to sand it as smooth as possible so there are not bumps and there are just a lot more edges on the doors. I used a mixture of the palm sander, angled sanding sponges and sandpaper to get it smooth.

I only got through 6 doors and I still feel like I may not have done a good enough job.  I don't know.  I was out of time, and I was just frustrated with the sanding.  This has been the worst part so far and I'm dreading sanding the rest of them, ughh.


I did have a few welcome interruptions - my neighbor stopped by to check my progress, I had to go to Home Depot to get more sanding blocks for those damn bevels, i needed a coffee, I talked to my friend on the phone.  Ok, I think I was just not into it today.  ;o)

The cabinet bases should be done by Monday or Tuesday, so at least we get take down all the plastic, clean up and use our kitchen again. There just won't be any doors or drawers on any of the cabinets for another week.

I feel like I'm on that show "Renovations Realities" on DIY network where these people always take 3 days off or a week to redo their whole kitchen.  And, i always think how stupid they are thinking they will get it done in that time and they always run into problems.  I guess I'm living the "reality" of it!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds challenging for sure!! I hope you got your coffee, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear how the rest of this went for you? We are in the process of sanding our FPE Brushing Putty and I got worried and started to do some research. Your blog was great! Did you brush any of the paint or spray it all? We are planning on brushing and I'm a little freaked out. This is day two for us and I think its going to take ALOT longer than we thought. Here's hoping it all went well for you! Thanks again for the blog!

    Jen
    dankojc@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I just bought a house filled with honey oak cabinets from the 90s, and my research about painting them led me to your blog. What an amazing chronicle of amazing work! I will echo Jen's comment from a few years ago - how did this go? Are you happy with the results? How do the cabinets look almost three years later?

    I am particularly inspired by the fact that you did this with a toddler - the presence of my 2 yr old son has made this project seem daunting...

    Thanks for the information!

    Best,
    Sarah Hutchinson
    hutch.sarahs@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete