Sunday, June 12, 2011

DAY 2 - Kitchen Cabinet Painting Project

Sunday, June 12, 2011
Today I was hoping to get all of the door and drawer fronts off, clean/degrease with TSP, sand and maybe get 1 coat of the Brushing Putty on. 


Well, not much was accomplished today.  It was a slow start after the few hours I spent setting up my blog this a.m. Worth it, but it wasted time. 


Today was really about more prep work and research anyway, so that is ok.


I made a list of the additional supplies I needed - painters tape, masking paper, tack cloths, sanding blocks, etc.  Luckily we already have a ton of stuff since we have painted every wall, trim, window and door in this house.  Home Depot is 1/2 mile from our house, but since I had time, I headed to Lowes for a change of pace.  I figured  I'd be in Home Depot often enough, as even if you think you have everything, inevitably, you always need to run out for something else.


My trip was fairly quick, but when I got back i ate lunch and then did some more research and posting questions on message boards.  


Really, hubby and I debated back and forth as to whether we should paint the inside of the cabinets or not. I still don't even think we've decided. We looked at the inside of some white and cream cabinets in Home Depot and Lowes, and many actually had oak/tan partical board insides. They weren't white.  So, even professional cabinets are unpainted inside.  We just don't want it to look crappy.


I basically just taped masking paper over the hardwood floors.  I'll still throw down some drop cloths, but just added protection for our new floors.  of course, hubby told me  I was suppose to use the tougher Rosin paper.  oh well.  


Kaitlyn enjoyed the new floors and ran and ran in circles.  She went to bed early.
I took a break and caught up on the episode of Mad Men Season 4 i fell asleep on and watched Kaityln.  Hubby took all the draw fronts, cabinet fronts, etc. down so I could start cleaning/degreasing them.  However, since I still wasn't positive if I can use TSP to clean with the FPE Brushing Putty, I decided to end the project there.  Plus the chemicals and sanding wouldn't be good with Kaitlyn around. She'll be at daycare tomorrow.


I did email the Fine Paints of Europe rep with my questions and I'll call him tomorrow. 


Apparently they are very helpful.  The reason for my quandry,  is sometimes what you use as a degreaser or deglosser, it can affect how the grain filler or primer adheres to the wood.  And, you want it to adhere and not chip off.


Anyway, progress is slowly being made and luckily i still have 7 days off to accomplish most of it.  Hopefully I'll get a call tomorrow saying I won a sweepstakes and then I can stop.


Remember, projects ALWAYS take 2x as long as you think they do. 

1 comment:

  1. ok, so I should have read the first post first. so I see Kaitlyn did enjoy helping you and climbing into the opened cabinets, even used her flashlight to thoroughly inspect what was in there. She's so funny. It's a big project alright. Always bigger than what you think it should be. And that is why I don't join on the same project your dad is doing and vice versa or we would of stopped speaking to each other the year we bought our house in Naugatuck and had to do all the painting and trim work.

    ReplyDelete